Thursday, June 21, 2007

KVDV's Event Report

03/06/07 - WM VeloTour in Stuttgart

Setting the scene for Bettini and co

STUTTGART - A race on exactly the same course as the upcoming professional world championship road race is a special event. It was even an interesting course, with two genuine hills in it, to be done 4 times for a total of 76km. I cancelled my registration for Fürth, another T-Mobile race held on the same day, and headed for Stuttgart.

I will be very surprised if Tom Boonen plays a factor in September. One can argue that the Herdweg climb is a Flemish climb, 700 metres long with a 13% bit. But then there is another 1.2km climb with an 11% bit followed by the 2.8km long false flat to the finish. It is a great course, but I'd bet on the Bettini's and Di Luca's of this world with local hero Schumacher as a very dangerous dark horse.

Back to my race. Foggy conditions at 8 a.m. in the morning, it rained the night before. I arrived at the starting area more than half an hour early, but discovered that plenty of riders had already taken up position in the starting block. Very annoying. As the first km went uphill, followed by a fast descent and then the Herdweg climb, I knew right away it would be vital to reach the front of the peloton as quickly as possible. Unfortunately, this was not feasible. The fastest guys, 12 in total at the finish, were gone and I never saw them. I found myself in a third group at the end of the first lap. Second time around on the Herdweg I opened up a small gap and saw the second group not so far ahead. I gave it a try and chased them. But after a few kilometres and not making a lot of progress I acknowledged it was a 'chasse-patat'. Back in group 3 I did my share of the work and kept the pace high on the climbs. Third lap, Herdweg, an Agapedia-rider found some extra strength and accelerated. Just past the top I caught up and together with a third rider we chased down a few riders who had been dropped off the second group. Interestingly, two of those four guys were also Agapedia guys. That was a good thing. Willingly or not, they took responsibility and decided the pace. As such we actually caught up with the second group right at the start of the final lap. Despite a few attacks, we more or less stayed together and sprinted for 13th place. Sprinting is not really my thing, but I was happy with 25th and the knowledge the legs were excellent.

FACT SHEET:
Name: WM VeloTour
Date: 3 June 2007
Venue: Stuttgart, DE
Type: T-Mobile Cycling Tour
Distance: 76km (1600hm)
My Result: 25/650 finishers (1400 overall participants): 2:07:26 (+ 5'56")
Info:
website
Event rating: 4/5




No comments: