Tuesday, August 28, 2007

T-Mobile Cycling Tour: RegioTour - Elin crashes out of contention

After a long hard summer, Elin had battled her way back to the top 3 of the T-Mobile Cycling Tour ranking... only to lose it all again in one race, the shortest race on the calendar. The 52km long race was full of incidents - an unfortunate characteristic of this season's T-Mobile events - and Elin was one of many to crash down hard. After the Texaspass Elin had found herself in second position (Annika was in a first group) when the rider in front of her made an unexpected move aside. Elin hit the rear wheel and went down, taking several other riders with her. She escaped with bruises herself, but her Cervelo suffered the most. Fork broken, handlebar bent and what have you: game over. The disappointment was huge. No points for Elin, Judith Cramer and Katharina Reitmaier are now much more comfortable in their podium slots in the Tour. Elin will now focus on the individual events and snatch a victory or two still this season.

The men's race saw a dominant performance by Nino Ackermann, who went solo on one of the climbs and reached the finish with a 1'40" advantage over Alex Bauer and the rest. Strong stuff. Markus Hagedorn also went down half-way the race and came in 74th.

There's a break in the schedule now, with the first event taking place in Nürnberg on 16 September.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hallo, I'm sorry for Elin. I saw her in Hamburg. Impressive! (I arrived only four minutes in front of her). I told her that I wanted her wheels! They would look nice on my Time. Seriously a crash like that is never good and I also liked her Cervelo. So I am genuiely sad if any one crashes. I hope she is ok.

Regards, Phil (crazy Swiss). phil@cycling-matters.com