Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Hendrik's Event Report:
20/05/07 - La Vauclusienne
Racing around the Ventoux

Belgium-based Hendrik Van Ekert, former amateur racer and cyclo rider, travelled to the Provence last week and participated in the cyclosportive La Vauclusienne. Here's his report:

I reached my main objective, i.e. finishing the race. But, sadly, the legs felt very bad. Probably due to a combination of two weeks without training (because of an injured knee), a ride on the Ventoux on Friday, another bumpy 90km on Saturday and a bunch of anti-inflammation products. I did have the impression, though, that the average level was quite high. Not so many participants (about 350) but nearly all of them finished with an average speed above 30 km/h.

After 10km we hit the first climb, which we took on the 53. I was only just unable to keep up with the first peloton (circa 50 riders) otherwise I would have risked blowing up. I fell back into a group of about 20 riders and together we rode up the Col des Abeilles (10km à 5-6%). Had to grit my teeth to follow.

Everything stayed together and we collected a few guys who had dropped off the first group. In a technical descent I escaped with six others. But after some ten kilometeres of working together the others still caught us back. Then the third genuine climb, about 3 km à 5%. Again a very solid pace and I felt my legs filling up with lactic acid. And in the final 25km they also exploded, I had to 'park' myself completely and could only make it to the finish riding my own tempo. My friend still overtook me and I could not even attach myself to his wheel anymore.

In the end 115th in the result list, half an hour behind the winner, but still with an average speed of 32.2 over 137km and some 1850 hm. Soit, I am not unsatisfied. My knee, which had been hurting so much the last two weeks, seems to have gotten better by the climbing. Either because of the anti-inflammation tablets or my slightly higher seating position on the bike.

Conclusion: "La Vauclusienne - Tristan Mouric" is a great cyclo in a wonderfull scenery riding around the legendary Mont Ventoux.

The race is perfectly organized, you get much value for your money (eg. nice cycling glasses, some commercial products, breakfast at the start, dinner with wine 'à volonté' at the finish, ...) and you even have the opportunity to cycle against Alain Prost, the famous F1 rider who participates in this cyclo every year (this year he ended up 58th).

Website of this cyclosportive: http://www.cyclosport-lavauclusienne.fr

HAC4+ Data:


Vlaamse versie:
Hoofddoel bereikt, koers kunnen uitrijden.
Maar de benen waren spijtig genoeg heel slecht. Waarschijnlijk combinatie van 2 weken niet meer te trainen, en dan vrijdags de ventoux op en zaterdag nog 90km over een paar hellingen en daarbovenop nog wat ontstekingsremmers.
Had wel de indruk dat het algemeen niveau redelijk hoog lag.
Niet zo veel vertrekkers maar bijna allemaal boven de 30km/u gemiddeld.
Na 10km de eerste klim, werd op het buitenblad opgevlamd. Ik kon net niet aansluiten met het eerste peloton (ong. 50 man) of ik zou moeten forceren.
Kwam daarna in een groepje van een man of 20 te zitten en reden samen de Col des Abeilles op (10tal km klimmen tegen 5-6%). Was wel wat doorbijten om te volgen.
Daarna bleef alles samen, raapten nog wat gelosten op. En in een technische afdaling reden we met 7 man weg.
Na een tiental km ronddraaien kwam de rest toch terug.
Daarna de 3de echt klim, 3-tal km aan 5%, werd weer stevig tempo gereden en voelde ik de benen al vol zuur lopen.
En in de laatste 25km zijn ze ontploft, stond volledig geparkeerd en heb eigen tempo naar de aankomst moeten rijden.
Mijn kameraad is me nog voorbijgereden en heb niet meer kunnen aanklampen.
114des geworden op een half uur van de winnaar, toch nog 32,2 gemiddeld met zo'n 1850HM over 137km (ik stuur later wel nog een grafiekje op).
Soit, toch redelijk tevreden van mijn weekend.
De knie lijkt wonder boven wonder verbeterd door het klimwerk. Ofwel ligt het aan de pillen of aan mijn iets hogere positie op de fiets.
La Charly Gaul dan toch maar voor de korte afstand kiezen zeker?





No comments: